Did you know that compared to other meat we eat, rabbit meat is way more healthier ,leaner and eco friendly?
Rabbit meat is one of the most sustainable and environment friendly meat out there . According to Slow Food USA, “rabbit can produce six pounds of meat on the same amount of feed and water it takes a cow to produce just one pound.” Compared to beef, pork, lamb, turkey, veal, and chicken, rabbit has the highest percentage of protein, the lowest percentage of fat, and the fewest calories per pound.So why don’t we eat more of it? In Fact in the period of depression people had eaten rabbit meat like we eat chicken nowadays.
Want to know more about rabbit meat? Read on
Why Is Rabbit Meat A Healthy Meal?
Here are some interesting facts about rabbit meat that you should know. These will help you to realize the specialities of this meat and you are going to add more rabbit meat in your food, from now on.
- It is a good white meat. White meat has a high percentage of Vitamin B, mainly B3 and B12 helps for brain function and blood health.
- The meat contains a high amount of easily digestible protein.
- It contains the least amount of fat compared to all the other available meats.
- Rabbit meat has a lower calorie value than other meats. Cutting calories intake can slow aging and protect against diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and Alzheimer's.
- Rabbit meat is almost cholesterol free, therefore can be used by heart patients also.
- The sodium content of rabbit meat is comparatively less than other meats.
- Rabbit has a lot of calcium and phosphorus in it.
- The ratio of meat to bone is high in rabbits ,which means there is more edible meat than there is even in chicken. Rabbit joints, loins, legs, ribs, belly, neck, shoulder and saddle and kidneys are delicious parts to eat.
- This meat doesn't have a strong flavor and is an alternative to chicken but not identical.
- Eating rabbit aids a varied and balanced diet which provides energy and witness.
Ndfresh is an excellent option to get premium quality rabbit meat. Our products are locally sourced from top grade farmers who follow ethical and most hygienic methods to raise animals.
Keep These Instructions In Your Mind Before Cook
Cooking rabbit meat is not similar to other meats. The process is different from other meats. Look at these 10 essential cooking tips.
The people love to eat rabbit roasted, baked in pie and it's usually braised in a casserole to keep the meat moist. There are a lot more choices in making rabbits in different parts of the world. You can mince it to make burgers or use it in terrines, rillettes.. Etc. It's up to you, but follow these tips.
- As this is lean meat you should bring the meat to room temperature before cooking, otherwise it is prone to drying out.
- Always search for the giblets of rabbits. Liver, heart and kidneys are delicious and best choice for terrines, and beautiful when lightly fried and served in a warm salad.
- Slow cooking is ideal for tough cuts of meat,even for all kinds of rabbit meat. The slow cooking would bring out intense flavour and leave you with a soft, succulent finish.
- Cooking at a low heat over a long period of time, submerged in a liquid, is great for bringing out the best in this delicate meat. It's helping to brown the meat prior to slow cooking and caramelise the rabbit.
- As the rabbits are keeping an energetic lifestyle,their body parts are well used and would be really tough to cook quickly. It is seen as lean meat, but it's really hard. So, slow cooking is anyway preferred.
- Always make sure your meat is flaking off the bone before leaving to rest and cool
- Rabbit can be confited at a low temperature of around 150°C in oil or duck fat ensures that the meat stays succulent and doesn’t dry out.
- Cooking rabbit is similar to chicken, it needs to fry on a moderate heat for 20 minutes or so until the internal temperature reaches 71°C.
- The cuts rather than saddle or the loin are much more suited to pot roasting or braising. They are suitable for frying.
- Roasting rabbit on the bone is preferable to keep it moist and to enhance the flavour. Always allow the meat to rest properly before serving to retain as many juices as possible.
NDfresh always provides top quality and halal certified rabbit meats to our beloved customers. Place your orders online and get it delivered conveniently in cleaned vacuum packs.